Monday, December 17, 2007

Sydney and Beijing repors

Australia and china trip update:
First, I want to thank each of those who have donated and made this trip possible! It was such an amazing trip. The racing was the best I've ever seen (and those that have been in this sport much longer agreed). I learned so much, and am eager to take those lessons to create better results in the future. Having the World Champion, Olympic Champion, and World Cup Leader all right next to you in a race, is a pretty awesome experience!

I think I've put on a few pounds, due to all the HUMBLE pie I've been eating! One of my biggest lessons was to respect the level of racing I am participating in. The riders who are consistently successful have been racing and training at this level for years.

On the track, things happen so quickly, there is such a small margin for error. Positioning is so crucial, and it takes constant jostling to keep your position. Two times I was close to making the cut for the finals. Lack of experience, and knowledge of the race that held me back. I am confident that I have it physically, thanks to my coach Jeremy Storie. I need to utilize my strengths and race with confidence in order to make that next step.

My team was great! It was quite a whirlwind in Sydney. We rented a car, and had minimum of one-hour drive to the track everyday. We struggled with the map, and driving on the left side of the road (Dave McCook was the only one willing to drive, and did like a madman). The host family we stayed with showed us huge generosity, and hospitality, really making the trip much more enjoyable!

In Beijing, we stayed at the host hotel, so meals and transportation were taken care of, which was perfect. I had been so worried about the food quality, but we were at the nicest Holiday Inn I've ever seen, and the food was great. The track was amazing so smooth, and quiet. You could smell, and see the dust from the newly constructed building. It was pretty cool to ride such a new track. The stand up toilets offered great conversation topics throughout the racing!

Thanks so much to Nicola Cranmer, the Proman team manager for both Sydney and Beijing. She had the busiest jobs of all of us, and did it with finesse. Especially because it was her first World Cup level track race, she did an amazing job! I can't tell you what a huge relief it is to have someone organized, and on top of things helping out! Thanks Niki!!

Back at home, after a week of trying to get back on this time zone. Training has begun again. I've gone back to a little endurance riding, and will hit the track probably later this week. The Burnaby six-day starts December 31st, and that's my next adventure! My teammates Dave McCook and Roman are coming, I'm really looking forward to it!

No comments: