Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Sydney Race Report....finally.

So, how was the racing?? You may ask.

Fast, aggressive, and super fun! The fields here are the deepest anyone has seen ever. Never can anyone remember 3 heats for the women. So, I know this is the best of the best in the world. Everyone is here!! (Isn't that awesome!)

My Pursuit....hmmm, what can I say that is positive? What did I do well? My first Kilo was right on schedule for me (my goal was 3:50). What can I improve on? I have not focused on my pursuit in training really at all, so I struggle with pushing myself through the pain that is required to maintain these speeds. You must ignore you brain, that is giving 1001 reasons to quit, and trust that you body can do it. What did I learn? I need to practice that level of intensity in training, so I have the experience and confidence in racing to push on. I am also learning to see the small improvements, and let go of self criticism, and judgement. I am very humbled, and grateful for this experience!

Then the Scratch Heat. This is only a 5k race (3 mi). It went by so fast. It was only 20 laps, and the first 9 were very uneventful. With 11 to go we finally go in the pole, but still were 3-4 wide until like 2 to go. What did I do well? Moved up, made a big effort to get to the front, and did. Did not allow myself to get squeezed at the rail. I was more calm than in the past in the middle of the pack that was very tight. What can I improve on? I made a few mistakes...first when I made the move to come to the front I did not go all the way to the pole, leaving myself too high and I quickly was swarmed. I also spent too much time at THE front, in the wind. And I hesitated twice when people surged, that killed me. Once you hesitate, you loose tons of positions. What did I learn? I need to use my size, be BIG. Remember that I know how to move in a pack, I love it on the road...the chess match of positioning....it's the same here, embrace the chaos...I need to be more intimidating, NOT intimidated! NO hesitations...fight for every inch!

My Points heat. My best race to date for sure! I went in with the attitude, "I have NOTHING to loose". I wanted to BE in the race. My Scratch heat happened around me, I took no chances....and walked away feeling timid, I allowed the other riders to dictate MY race, YUCK! So, before the first sprint Chatherine Cheatly went, and I got on her....we were off shortly, but were reeled in with the first sprint. Then I tried again to make a move, I quickly found myself w/ one other rider off the front. And I knew it was ON! This was my race. I was giving it all I had, we were working well together! Then Christine King and another rider came rocketing over me as I was pulling...and I just couldn't (didn't) get on the wheel, and I watched as all 3 riders rode away...and then I saw the pack....'oh my god, we're so close to taking a lap'....then I saw it was 2 laps to the sprint, I was loosing ground both to the other 3 riders, and to the pack....after the sprint I was more than 1/2 lap down...but I got 5 points for the sprint....but soon knew I needed to sit up and wait for the pack. So I did. And, went to the front, found a solid wheel and tried to conserve. Just before the final sprint, I heard Dave yell, "you need points". And I was not prepared mentally to sprint. So I worked to move up. But now the pace was high, it was 2 laps to go....I moved into the pole hoping the Cuba would make a move and open something up....that wasn't to be....I ended 11th....tied for 8th w/ 2 other riders....and one of them was 3rd in the final sprint (the tie breaker is each riders' position in the final sprint, so she got 8th)....I didn't make the finals. But I was happy....I knew that was a step up for me...I raced my race, took risks, was part of the race! It was so hard, so fast, so scary, and I loved it!!

And that's that from my vantage point! I'll take my lessons and hope to build on them in Beijing!

No comments: