Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The begining of my adventure of a lifetime in El Salvador!!

Thursday, day before the race

Travel HELL!!!

After the excitement of buying my non-existent ticket…and barely making my flight to El Salvador (although I had a 5hr layover)….we stopped in Manaua (I’m guessing on how to spell, no surprise) Nicaragua, but there is now a torrential rain storm and we sit for ~1hr15min to wait out the storm. What this means is the person picking me up, leaves to return to the presentations scheduled that evening…so when I finally arrive in San Salvador…I am mobbed by about 20 taxi drivers desperate to ‘help’ me get a ride…thank Jevohova I knew enough Spanish, and have learned to trust my gut to get rid of most of these taxi drivers…. So I called the number I had on my sticky note of the house I was told we were staying. The person who answers tells me no one is there (but the housekeeper and her family)… she tells gets all the info about this taxi company, calls the director, and tells them if anything happens to me…well I don’t really know what she said, but I was a safe she said.

And what do ya know, that torrential down pour in Nicaragua had arrived….it was raining SOOOO hard we could barely drive….and the house I was staying in was at the end of this DIRT road (not in the best shape). It took about 2 hours, three attempts, 7 phone calls….I thought several times that I would have to get out and swim/push the van…but the driver and I laughed a lot, I had great fun w/ my rusty Spanish, ….except driving down the river to the house…finally a 60some year old man comes riding a old Mtn bike down the road to help us navigate….and we arrive at the house.

As we enter the driveway I am overwhelmed at the beauty, and grandiosity of this house. The front yard has this huge bird cage w/ Parrots (like the one on the Fruit Loops box), it’s a huge house. Inside is perfect…every bedroom has 2-3 bunk beds (2 downstairs), a master suite upstairs (w/ hot tub), and upstairs another bedroom. But the back yard was the kicker…a gorgeous blue tile pool, two smaller pools made of tile, a huge porch w/ table, outside bar, stone barbecue…and a little building at the back of the yard all open

No comments: