Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Embrace the Chaos

Day 1: (Friday) Uphill 4k Prologue
Embrace the Chaos:

I arrive about 11am to the Olympic training center of El Salvador…everyone is in the dorms, which look more like a hotel. I meet up w/ the Director and get settled. I am getting my first taste of the level of chaos here. The schedules keep changing (and there are LOTS of them on this team) . Our director says he has only a few things he is picky and one of them is being on time to meetings…yea, I learned this one the hard way….In the first day I managed to be late for a massage, the team meeting, and strategy meeting…..ooops!

The Wines of Washington team I am riding for here is composed of 9 riders, 2 soungiers, 2 mechanics, and 1 director…most of which have NEVER done this kind of thing before, especially in a foreign country….there’s bound to be a little confusion….then factor in trying to keep a tight schedule….hmmmmm this will be interesting!!

Racing begins
The TT was ok….I feel it wasn’t my best performance…but it’s been super crazy in so many ways, I’m not surprised. I hope my fitness will continue to improve throughout this race. Alisha Lion, my Ford-Basis teammate got 3rd (SAAAAWWWEEETTT!), not a bad first podium…UCI race in El Salvador, but I’m sure it won’t be the last! Our WOW team did well….all in the top 25….I was 11th, Sara Tilotson 9th, Lisa Magnus 12th (serious shifting problems, and still rocked), Jennifer Ruither 21st, Niki Waynsguard was so fast I cannot remember her time, Martha Walsh 23rd, Kathleen Billington ( I think) was so small I didn’t see her finish but was listed as 24th, and Starr F was 25th I believe. So we are optimistic about the remaining days!

Meetings begin
First we had a team meeting…after everyone voted for captains (which I have NEVER done before)…but there were 2 captains….it’s funny I was a chosen ( not sure why, I’ve ever been captain of anything except Captain Dipshit)… but even funnier there was a 3 way tie for the other captain…two declined….so our second captain is Jenn Ruither! Which makes a nice duo, she’s very organized w/ details and I’m NOT….

So after the TEAM meeting, we had a STRATEGY meeting, that lasted until 10:30pm…we chose who would go for the 5 different jerseys, and the runner ups for those same spots, then who would chase in the flats, and in the climbs…..damn, we are SO are ready man…..(or so we think)

No comments: