Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Swedish Cooking!

One of my objective, and yes I had vacation objectives, was to learn some authentic Swedish cooking from Mormor and Gunnel.
For years, I have been trying to re-create Mike's birthday cake from his memory. It was great to learn the REAL recipe.
First, you cut the cake into 3 layers..
Then you add the smashed bananas..
To the other layer you add the fruit sauce (like a creamy jello)...
Cover with whipped cream (that has NO sugar in it)...
Add whatever fruit you like....and tadaa...
My next Swedish Cooking lesson, was in Bulle. A very common cinnamon bread roll served at coffee (which is pretty much every time you visit someone. I've learned the women in Mike's family always have some in the freezer in case of unexpected company). And being as it's so tasty, and common, I thought it a must to learn.

After rising the dough, we roll it out into a rectangle, spread w/ butter and cinnamon.

The using scissors, cut the rolls.

Add egg to the top for a nice brown finish (thanks Mike)....

And bake! Look how nice they look. Notice the size difference. Can you tell which ones the American made?

No comments: