Thursday, August 18, 2005

The thrills of Sprint drills

So, I've recently been introduced to Momentum training and the Institute of New Medicine...a group of 3 highly skilled, multi-disciplinary sports medicine doctors/acupuncture-ists/nutritionist/coaching guys. I won a prime at the Cascade crit (the prime where Mari H screamed at me as I passed her to take it "What the Hell are you doing"...hmmmmm, 'winning this prime' I thought)...and glad I did! It was a initial consult with all three. So I got a nutritional analysis, blood work, bike fit, lactate testing...and much more.

That sounds great...but the lactate test was brutal. So, I was thinking 'at least it's not a VO2 max test'...well that's what I get for thinking. That's EXACTLY what it was. He (Dave Jordan of Momentum training) hooks my bike up to a computrainer (ie the NO HIDING MACHINE)..starts me at a easy 150watts, then adds 30watts every 3 min..and CONSTANTLY pricks my finger for lactate analysis....all well and good until I'm screaming, ripping the bars off my bike to try and keep the 360watts after 20some minutes...thinking, bloody liar...this is just a way to quantify what a wuss I really am! After I scared out all the client in the building w/ my wallowing and grunting....he FINALLY says I'm done....

And lucky me, the test shows...I'm ready for some VO2 WORKOUTS the next day...hmmmm, I wonder what that's like, can't be any worse than the test right? NO...wrong again. This time we basically repeat the hardest part of the test about 40million times..or 6. And this time we see that I really DO suck...I was never able to keep the 'prescribed' watts..and the intervals keep getting shorter and shorter..and the pain grows and grows! Actually, it was the first time in years I've done VO2 TRAINING...I thought that was called racing. Oh well, now I know NOT to go 120% in the first 15sec of a 1:45min interval, cause it's HELL!!


I'm once again counting my lucky stars...what a coincidence for me to win that prime...and be introduced to this group that can address of all the critical parts of my training....and ones that are GROSSLY lacking. So, I've got my liquid vitamins/minerals, new bike fit, and a new understanding of PAIN...so bring it on Downers Grove!! And thanks to Dave, Peter, William...a new sense of confidence to finish off my season!

Check them out: www.mo-training.com, and www.inewmed.com

And here is a great picture of what PAIN looks like...for those who need a visual!
http://www.chrissyruiter.com/journal/8-16-05.htm (I tried to steel the pic, like she has done of MINE....but it wont work....)

No comments: