Saturday, March 11, 2006

IN THE SPIRIT OF SPORTSMANSHIP AND FAIR PLAY!!

That was the 'Memo' we all recived yesterday on the annoucement that our 6.5mile uphill time trial was changed to a 16mi flat time trial....The request was for people NOT to use aero equiptment as many teams did NOT bring equiptment thinking it was all uphill and not necessary!

So, competitiveness won...and those who had them used them....reminds me of that line from some movie "Smoke em if you got em!!", but, of course, completely different...But those who did use the equiptment (TT Bike, helmet, disc wheels, deep dish front wheels) did smoke the rest of us.

So, it was an excellent opportunity for me to work on letting go of what my finish was, and focus on MY RACE. Which I felt was really good. It was a tough head wind for 12 mi, then side wind for 5.2. And I did NOT think about the equiptment, all I thought about was power, and confidence...and I felt good.

Now, after the results were posted....well, let's say it got harder not to get down on myself....my ego is stubborn! But, hey 'my legs don't know the difference' as I always say!
If you'd like to see the actual breakdown...like most of us:

Central Valley TT Results


The team rode well, gave 100% in a tough situation. 4 of our riders were really looking forward to that uphill TT (yea, that would be all EXCEPT ME!)...but they did a great job of regrouping and staying positive!

After the race Alisha and I did an excellent job of getting lost trying to ride home from the course....and ended up riding like 2.5hrs AFTER the race...perfect recovery!!

Today, we have a 90mi flat race...sounds long...I wonder how it will pan out

1 comment:

Brent said...

just a note:
The VB-Kona team used the bikes for the TT as they were originally set up for the uphill TT as requested by the promoters.

All stock race bike with compact gearing and 12x23/25 cassettes.
The bikes had clip ons as they would have for the original uphill race.

A few other teams used full TT bikes, bars, disk wheels, TT chain rings which had a clear advantage over our setup and obvious in the results.

You rode well for being spun out.