Monday, March 27, 2006

Sunsets are beautiful!

Today...actually yesterday... was the Sunset RR (circuit race more like it 9 stupid laps)...it's a tough course..but it's surviving the first lap that makes all the difference...and what do ya know...I was in a small group by the top of the first climb after Amber Neben attacked...hmmm, this feels familiar (last year Ina attacked, w/ the same result, a completely shreaded feild).

The difference for me is this is the 4th time I've experienced this certain pain...and I know how hard it is mentally to see no one around you, and feel like your race is over after 10min....so I kept the hammer down and got on my horse....not literally...then on like the 2nd lap Michelle Beltran (who I think was a Pitbull in her former life...I say that because she NEVER gives up, and I mean that in a very positive way...although I complained during the race cause she made me suffer...) comes flying up and pulled us up the climb, and I pulled us down...till we caught the next group of ~8 on the 4th lap....then I got a breather for a while...blaa blaaa we ended up being the last group to make the race, yipee!

Alisha made the first chase group in an very elite group of riders (Kim Baldwin, Kim Anderson, Dotsie...I think that's all)...chasing Amber who stayed away all day...then the first main group had Kristin Danielson (a fellow Bella on the Mtn side) and ~20 other riders...then us...

My other teamates had their first taste of Sunset, and learned a lot.....worked hard, and finished strong! These girls are tough, and are making more progress than they are capable of seeing...lucky for me I get to watch them grow!! Great job Velo Bella-Kona girls!

I must take this time to plug my new bike...I absolutely LOVE my King Zing (cleverly painted Queen Zing for the 'women's team'). It a full carbon frame, and it's flawless! The geometry is perfect, I've never felt so comfortable w/ a bike fit, as I do on this. The ride is the smoothest ever...yet surprizingly responsive. I cannot say enough great things about this bike...I really really love it! Thank so much Kona...who you may know better for Mtn/Cross bikes...but try a road bike...I'm tellin' ya it's SAWEET!!

BTW: Chrissy and I had our own QOM competition going on a speed bump in the course...although I had to keep reminding her what the score was because she had trouble counting on her fingers....we tied!! So we each will be wearing the Orange speed bump QOM jerseys next year on Sunset...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a blast. Congrats on finishing the race- sounds like a challenging climbers course.
And about the Kona - yeah they rule. I have a Kona Kona - same geometry as your Zing and can't say enough about it. Responsive, aggressive, comfortable - and I don't think it was designed with a woman in mind - simply amazing.

See you soon! Jen

kelekelebobelly said...

How do I respond to Yo Mama's comment?? Lounging around...ha! Yo mama's lounging around!!

kelekelebobelly said...

hmm, it's funny to leave comments on my own blog....then have to do the word verification...you'd think it would recognize the NAME...whatever, stupid technology!