Saturday, April 29, 2006

Athens Twilight

Wow that was a trip! There were 40BA-ZILLION drunk, smoking, smelly, college kids cheering on a bike race...haven't ever seen that before! It was awesome...I almost felt cool for a minute!

So, our race started at 7:45pm...and it was all barricaded ed off...making for sketchy corners...and narrow straights..but otherwise it was basically 4 corners..and a huge screen on the back side. It was pretty cool all the hub-ub...

It's funny, the course is so short we lapped people less than 1/2 way...and it's not that they were that far off the back...we just were strung out so far and the course was so short...it made for early departures for a few unfortunates...

There were multiple attacks and counters...but my job was to finish as best I could..and nothing stayed away....there were tons of primes w/ decent money so any team that could took turns gobbling up the cash!

I'm feeling really good right now...the race was fast, hard to move around in...but I was more comfortable than in the past up front...I did well staying up there...then on the last lap just didn't quite have the power on the 'hill' to come around as many as I needed to..and the winner went right before 2nd to last corner...and by that time I was too far back...but I made up a few spots in the 2nd to last corner...and in the last corner a few riders bobbled, causing hesitations..and more lost spots...what I could do better...is dig out that final sprint...and never let up...today it wouldn't have made much of a difference, but soon it will!! I need to practice that mentality now!

Wow, that like the most detailed race report I've done!! Sorry if I bored anyone...and no pictures, sorry....I was focused on other things! Ok, it's 12:15AM...MAYBE I should sleep....my body is still on West coast time...thank Jehovah the race isn't till 4pm tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the race report! How exciting. That is a race I've never done, but always wanted to. Looking forward to meeting you at Mt. Hood Classic--please keep up the race reports--