Sunday, February 26, 2006

KeleKelebo'Bella'...

Today was my first 'Bella' race...that is, a race as a Velo-Bella-Kona rider! It was in Smelling, I mean Snelling...the course was 5 laps of a open, basically flat circuit w/ a few rollers. We had 7 'Bellas' in the 1/2 field (this is what you call any Velo Bella club/team member..'Bella')...Jane Z, Jen C, Jen Joynt, Monica, Andy, Kele (yea that's me), and Erika. I was impressed w/ the instant cohesiveness of our new team...there were many attacks and counter-attacks...and the 'Bellas' were well represented in the breaks (Jen Chapman, and Jane Zeigler both spent several laps out front). But, in the end it was all together and I botched the sprint...I still need to work on that part.

I felt good and strong in the race. I did eat one of Jen Chapman's home made energy bars (Most parts Peanut Butter, ground oatmeal, sweet stuff, coconut) and got caught w/ a huge chunk of this bar stuffed in my mouth...as some attack went off and there I was drooling Peanut Butter for several minutes...you know when you have too much in your mouth you can hardly chew...yea it was hot! I think I'll try breaking it up into pieces next time!

We had great support from a long time 'Bella' supporter 'Miss Mary' (you'll notice a lot of 'quotes' when referringring to people surrounding this team cause there are many nicknames, as they are a pretty tight group of women...it's great) Apparently she comes to most of the road races in the area to help in feed zones, and has a spread of food set up after the race....It was awesome...and all she asks for in return is for women to come out to support/race cross in the fall...Isn't that incredible!! I stayed with her and Anastasio (her boyfriend) at her mothers' house after the race also!

I'm learning quickly how this team is built on this great foundation of 'community'...the Velo Bella team was created by Sabine Dukes...here in the San Francisco area...because she wanted a cute Kit w/ black shorts...she was tired of the ugliness of cycling kits...viola, the kitty sportin' girlified kits were born, then came the 'Flare' which is the added glitter, sequence, and pink fluff that has become the 'Bella' trademark! (I can't wait to see how Nicole adapts this Flare)...But more deeply, I see that there is this HUGE community of women (and Women ONLY) that are a part of this club (190 racers all over the country)...what a great way to spread the love of cycling! All it takes is buying a Kit (and for all you non cyclist, a Kit is our jersey and shorts, aka 'costumes', 'outfits', 'uniforms', 'spandex', and many other things I cannot repeat...Kit just sounds much cooler..try to remember that one MOM!!).

I am SO sorry I don't have pictures....soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kele is was great driving with you. Glad we have mutual acquaintances!

email me off line I need to get you some stuff.