Monday, February 06, 2006

VooDoo SmooDoo!!

Ok, this is getting ridiculous...I think there is a voodoo hex on me to not be able to ride long hours (I know it you Ryan)...cause it seems like the last several weeks there has been SO many obstacles for me to get in my ‘normal’ base type hours.

Last weekend, I had a Continuing Education course. That meant both Sat and Sun for 8 hrs each sitting in a room listening to lecture. Which also meant, no time for long weekend rides...I was only able to ride to and from the course, and Sat night 3hrs after...

So, this weekend I was all geared up for a good 6hr day Sat...BUT

First bad voodoo sign, usually on Thursdays I can get in 4 hrs riding to/from these indoor Computrainer classes...but due to 2 flats I missed the first class, and precious ride time...

Second bad voodoo sign, my boss’s son is visiting...and she really doesn’t want to have to come in this weekend...”Could you just come into work a little?...yea, that’s BOTH days”...and because SUCKA’ is my middle name, I agreed, more time lost...

Third bad voodoo, was the weather reports...and thus the epic, but less than 4hr ride on Sat...

Fourth bad voodoo sign, on the beautiful Sunday we had, heading out for a good hard ride...as I start my ride, my Power Tap wont read anything, I take it on/off x3, and vigoursly tap the screen (why do we always do that??)...but nothin’, damn it no power!

Fifth bad voodoo sign, right before reaching Seward park (yea, the FARTHEST point of the ride, mind you) my rim shreds from too many years of grit...and Thank Jahova Jennifer Tripplett was with me and her Dear Dear husband Ryan drove all the way from Ballard area to bring me a spare wheel (and was RICHLY rewarded for his efforts..per Jen’s report)...so off we go again to finish our ride, which is x2 up Cougar at LT for time...














Sixth bad voodoo sign, at the base of Cougar I realize yet another spoke has broken on my Power Tap wheel...’ahhhh Hell No, I’m still ridin’it’...so I twisted the broken spoke around his neighbor, and off we went x2, then 1.5hrs home no problemo..

Good thing I don’t believe in VooDoo!!

BTW, for all those Local cyclist fans that Cougar ride is a great long climb that’s close...I’ve never ridden all these parts together, let’s see if I can explain it...
You start up ‘McDonalds hill’ (near Newcastle area), go all the way to the T intersection and take a R and then you first L at the light (it looks like a residential area) then take you immediate first left onto a path that is barely paved (now you are climbing again pretty steeply)...keep going, it turns to gravel, and you have to Cylocross it for about 300m but it’s ok..and then it dumps you onto a residential street...and just keep going on that road (you’ll pass a ‘Road Closed’ sign, and go through some cones)...go over some speed bump, and down a small hill to a stop sign (Newcastle golf course rd) take a R, follow that past the golf course, and then make the painful R turn up the end of that godforsaken mtn...And try to do that under 25min Dawg (yea, don’t worry that’s not MY time!!...and I’m not tellin’)

No comments: