Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Liberty Classic!

No photos, sorry.

Race report:
Well, I was again one of the FIRST to the line! Anxiety manifests in so many ways, doesn't it?

I was so glad to see the field size more manageable. I felt more safe! But, still was fully focused on staying top 20 as much as possible. And did it, pretty much for the entire first 2 laps.

I was surprised how fast the pace was coming off Kelly drive, amping up for the first trek up the Wall...but we were HAULIN'. I was able to keep my position, mostly from the middle. Learning to be patient, and wait for opportunities to open...cause they always do. Tried not to panic when I saw/felt a swarm of ppl on the left...cause they tend to fall back quickly.

First time up the wall...you come off the cobbles, and then it starts...not too steep at first, but the speed is high so your legs begin to burn..and my head starts to freak out 'oh god, this hurts already, I'm never gonna make it'....which I quickly changed to, 'it's only 40 seconds of the steep part, I CAN do that'...and once I stood, I was surprised how calm I was, and pleased w/ my fitness...realizing I didn't have to go ballistic...just stay w/ them...and that was do able. I saw Jenn Stevenson climbing near me, and kept my sights on her as a gauge of where the true climber were (she's amazing, she climbs so nimbly...if that's a word).

Then after the steep section, the real mind games begin...cause your body wants to sit, and relax cause the steepest part is over...but your brain knows how critical this secion. So, I focused on power, and giving all I had...but I could tell I was mentally weaker in this section...'just get to the R hand corner', which indicates the end of the climb.

The first 3 laps were fairly uneventful. Allison Powers was off alone for about 1 lap, we heard ~1 min at one point! Nice job Allison! There were a few small groups that would get separation off the Wall, but it would come back together on Kelly drive. Poor Laura Bowles crashed x2, I"m sure you all read on Cycling news. Note to self, stay away from L side of Kelly drive, too many grates, people are too aggressively trying to move up...bad combo!

On the first 3 times up the climb I was in good company, meaning I hadn't lost position, no need to panic! But on the fourth time, and fastest, there was a gap by the corner, and I saw Shontell on my wheel. So, I feel a new sense of urgency to catch...I love this part! I just keep diggin, 'can you go any faster, can you push harder, can you spin faster, keep pushing, your finish line is the back of that pack'....I can see the main pack...at the point the road starts to flatten, I realize I can no longer accelerate our group, I pull off...slowly others take up the pull, and soon it is clear we will catch. Jen McCray is solidly glued to Shontell's wheel, I just gave her a nice free ride..and she did nothing (smart huh).

All together when we hit the overpass, 'go straight to the front where you belong', I say the same to Shontell. Strawberry hill, faster than previously, and I notice my L hamstring and R quad quasi-cramping. Instantly fear screams, 'you're not gonna make it, remember what happened last year at Cascade when you cramped'...not this time! I focus deeply on the riders, and pulling up to offload my hamstrings. 'Light Spin'...and the pain recedes, we're descending...now I have to get back to the front...do it slowly!

Lemmon, Shontell is right there w/ me. I'm not completely pleased w/ my position. I try to ignore the pangs of fear of more cramping, on the last pitch it hits...now it's more both quads, not full on cramping, but twinges, and pain, and low power...'Eyes up, push through it, this is such a short effort, accelerate through the top of the climb'...I see the 3K to go sign on the decent....'A whole new race now!! I'm ready. I know how to keep my position, keep fighting, this is for all the marbles!'...

All is going well, I feel protected, Shontell is nearby, I'm not at my limit, but the pace is high. 2K to go. I feel calm and ready. The pack is getting tighter and tighter, people are taking more and more risks...I feel the anxiety build...I see the 1K sign...I'm on the L side...

I feel someone brush my hip, then a hard lean, I can feel there front wheel is out of control, they are pan icing, I know someone is about to go down, instinctively I grab my breaks...'NOOO, forward momentum Kele, the person moving forward doesn't crash'...I pedal hard, my front wheel bobbles...and I hear the sounds of crashing, I up...but I've lost several places...I don't hear Shontell behind me....I must sprint!

We come out of the round about...550m to go...Oh crap, I am WAY too far back....'Be patient, this is a long headwind sprint'....but the pace is blistering...it's all I have to stick on wheels, 200m to go, 'How are these girls sprinting from this pace, I wish I had an 11'...I can't spin any faster, or push any harder...I see Niki Wanyesgard in front of me....I put my head down...'All the way to the line, everything you have'...which wasn't much...I see Ina throw up her hand...I end up 20something..


Shontell and Jen were caught up behind that last crash. It was Brenda Lyons, and Laura Yosten, Teresa Cliff-Ryan who went down (I'm sure there were more but those are the one's I know).

It was again a great race. And a real race, where crashes happen and change the outcome. It's frustrating to be so close to a great finish (if Shontell would have been on my wheel, or just been able to do her thing)...it would have been a perfect race! But, I'll take a great race!

The team was a little down after the finish, but all walked away with something learned, and grateful to be a part of such a great event! Thanks to UltraLink and Cervelo to allowing us all to be here! I promise we all gave everything we had!!

1 comment:

JT said...

Wow - fantastic race report Kele. I really admire the way you are able to dig so deep and push your body through physical limits. It's truly inspiring. Ah those beloved 3k signs - kind of reminds you of track, doesn't it? Funny how easily we can be reminded of deep dark pain caves. But there is light at the end of the tunnel - it seems the more familiar you are with them, the easier the become I suppose. :) Nice work out there.