Thursday, June 07, 2007

Tulsa Tough day 2!


Thank Ala, it was sunny, dry, and awesome Sat for our crit. This course was again awesome. Lots of turns, a small rise, a nice decent, into the last corner...

My personal plan was to BE PATIENT!! (yea, I know, I say that every race). This time I really did it. I remember seeing Shontell at the front (like 3rd wheel) often, and having to fight the twinge of guilt that I was not up there too...but it wasn't necessary.

The race was 75min, and so it started pretty mellow (Excels' Matt-see (I cannot spell to save my life) set the pace for the first part of the race. We had some fun spectators on the rise that were making it fun. With like 6 laps to go, I jumped, taking Ally Brant w/ me...and I knew this was my move, this was why I'd been patient, so I kept going, 'Perfect', I thought. Soon Shannon Koch joined us. Which was nice to have another person help. We never had too significant of a gap, but enough to keep us motivated. Then w/ 1 lap to go, Ally and I backed off, I tried to encourage Shannon to continue to drive it, seeing as the pack was closing...then after the rise Ally surged, and I happily got on her wheel, through the last corner, and down the home stretch...then started to come around her, inch by inch...and right as we hit the line (well, just a scone-ch before) Ally raised her R arm in celebration, and I having my eyes glued on her front wheel, saw it make the tinest move backward, and I threw my bike forward...and that was it...I WON!! But an inch, they had to take it to the video it was so close!



For me it was a lesson in patience....I waited longer than ever to begin to come around her...and I didn't stop, and stayed focused until the bitter (or sweet for me) end...This was such a great win for me (well, any win is great). Because it was in a sprint...something I have been working on! A burst of confidence, that I needed.

Shontell won the field sprint as well. So, it was a great day for UltraLink!!

No comments: