Thursday, June 07, 2007

Tulsa Tough!


On Friday afternoon, Jay Blankenship picked me up to head down to Tulsa for 'Tulsa Tough'...a 3 day omnium of Crits.

The drive down was disturbing, because we hit some SERIOUS rain, wind, and hail about 20 mi outside of Tulsa...see


And the ominous weather continued for our race. Warming up there was lightning, and rain. I remember a voice in my head (one of MANY) being concerned because the tires I was running were ones I raced ALL last season on (meaning warn, and less traction, not good on wet surfaces). But, in general I don't mind racing in the rain. I like the added challenge, it makes the chess match harder to follow!

Unfortunately, that little voice forgot that I had put 120 psi in my tires, and needed to let some out to increase traction...that would be a problem.

On the start line, I asked the official to explain to me the procedures they had for ensuring the riders safety in lightning...'cause I was seeing TONS, and was surprised they were having us start. But, he assured me they had it on radar, and it was moving away, and was being closely monitored. So, I relaxed, and tried to focus on the task at hand.

Race starts, great course...people are slipping all over the place. The road was quite slick. I was slipping all over the place...I kept thinking, "Keep your butt on the saddle, keep the gear light in the turns"...I tried to go for a prime and got pipped at the line...Arghh that's so annoying, all that effort for NOTHING, guess I should have gone a little faster, huh?

There were multiple spills, one contained Shontell, in the 2nd corner. She was able to take her free lap and rejoin the race!

Then, things started to heat up, it was strung out, I was planning a counter after a prime...and as I surged to move up...KUR-SPLAT, down I go in the same corner everyone else had been crashing in....sliding like I'm on a slip and slide, then I realize how much it hurts, so I flip to the other side, BAD IDEA. I collect my bike, I'm fine, just skin (and torn short, grrrr)...I make my way to the pit...and just as I arrive I hear, "One lap to go Ladies, ONE LAP TO GO", What tha? NOOO. They won't let me back in, due to no free laps! I don't get to finish!

But Speedy Shontell got 2nd, and later reported she wasn't 'really going for it' due to the weather...man, I wish I could have that kind of speed 'not going for it'...she's amazing. Jen McRay won, Bettsey of Dairyland was 3rd, Ally Brant was 4th...it was a 26min race, Jen won $1250 for her efforts! Not bad, eh?

I was concerned about the Omnium, and due to the nature of the race and weather, they allowed me to be placed at the back of the pack from which I fell...WHEW, that saved me!

(More photos soon)

No comments: