Sunday, June 18, 2006

HILLwater...aka Stillwater Crit

Well, this shouldn't take long...

If you're not familiar w/ this course...it's got a climb w/ 27% grade, followed by a false flat, 2 corners...another short climb (which doesn't feel short when you're exhausted), then a decent w/ 5 corners and horrible pavement....back to the hill.

So, my approach today was...I'm gonna go as hard as I can for as long as I can...because that's what the front group is doing...and yea, I may only last a few laps, but that's the best way to learn, and get stronger...All I can do is ALL I can do...

So I think we had a little under 100 to start today...and it was a beautiful HOT and HUMID day...perfect for climbing. Luckily it's only a 50min race (if your lucky, or I guess strength has more to do w/ it than luck)

Ok, we start at the base of the hill, and on the first lap is a sprint at the top of the climb...so it goes fast...and I just go as hard as I can...it's just amazing how much faster SOO many women are than me, and I know how hard I'm workin'...these girls are awesome! So, I go from like 15th at the start to like 80th by the top (it's like 200m)...and then crawl through the string on all corners, and throughout the decent...

By the tired lap a definite split forms, and I bet you can guess which side of it I was on. It was kinda' cool though...as I came around the corner...the leaders we nearly to the top of the climb...and you can see the split at the base...

Every time up the climb was the finishing lap (in my head)...no holding back, race like Chrissy would...unfortnately, I had to keep going...but I was able to continue catching people...

Two of those people where my teammates...so we were in a group of like 6 or so...for a little bit...then got pulled...I had 27min on my computer when we were pulled...whew, made the time cut...or so I thought. I got a call from Eric Lynch from TRIA at 11PM saying we are all DNF'd...arrgghh, it's just salt in the wounds...cause I did complete enough per their standards for A time, maybe a shitty one but hey it took a lot of hard work to get that shitty time...oh well, I guess next year I just have to go faster!!

So, for those that did go faster...a group of 3 (Anne Snuf-a-luf-a-gus (just kidding, I just have NO IDEA how to spell her name...no offense, she's an awesome aggressive rider)Kristin Armstrong, and Sarah Ulmer (Jazz apple)...formed and stayed away till the last lap when they were caught by Cristine Thornberg (Webcore), followed by Kori Seehafer (Lipton) Alex Wrobleski (Biovale) Mara Abbott (Rio Grande)...so it was very exciting!

Kristin Armstrong took the overall, Kori Seehafer was second, and the rest is here
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/jun06/naturevalley06/?id=results/naturevalley065

So that was the race...Again I have to comment on my sweet ride...this Kona Queen Zing full carbon is smooth as butta...I just wish I could make it go faster! And our Easton wheels are holding up tremendously w/ these rough roads, gravel, and sweet jumps we catch air on every day! Thanks to these and all our sweet sponsors for making this possible for all the Bella's here (Selle San Marcos, Crank Brothers, Cytomax, Cateye, Whipperman, Easton, Sidi, Hincapie, Pedros, Schawlbe, Zeal optics, and Giro) this dream would not be a reality without your support!! So, study that list if you are a cyclist and support those who support us!!

No comments: