Friday, June 16, 2006

Race ON!!

That's right...there's no stoppin' us man...storm SHmorm...we came to race...but now only 30 instead of 40min...and one less sprint.

The streets were still wet, but amazingly not flooded. Really, had we not seen the amazing storm that just passed, the conditions were simply...wet.

At the start line, it really dawns on me that we ARE going to race...and I remember, and contemplate the level of competition here, and start preparing myself for the task at hand...which was important, because for the last 45min I really didn't think this race was going to happen.

Gun goes...and I have a good start...ppl are taking corners reasonably, pace is high, but tolerable...first sprint (there are 3, at 7/14/22min in respectively...all for time) goes fine...the pack is totally strung out on every straight, slows and bubbles for corners...little moving around is happening. My focus is being aware of how many ppl pass me and to make it up in every corner...in order to hold my position.

Second sprint, I barely hear...which must indicate my moving farther back in the pack...but that doesn't register until NOW...I see Tina Pic being pushed back into the pack at some point...and she very nicely fills a gap in front of me...

The corners are not only wet, and have medal barriers surrounding them, the pavement has many cracks (which are nicely covered w/ water), and there are multiple man hole covers in most corners...it's remarkable there were no major crashes...because, at least on my end, it was a pretty fast race!!

Here's Jen Joynt, ferociously attacking those corners. For 4ft9inchs...this girl is tough, and one of the best corner-ers, and decenders I know!! We were joking before the race, that if the streets stayed flooded, she might drown...because she's so low to the ground...instead of yelling "Hold on Jen", we'd have to yell, "Just hold your breath till after the corner"....luckily the flooding receded, Jen was safe!

In the last 10min of the race, gaps were opening more and more...and there was THE one...and I told myself whatever girl I was behind was strong and would close it...so I hesitated, and waited...STUPID...the gap NEVER got smaller...so I jump around her, but w/ the wind and speed of the main group...I just ended up solo for 5 laps between groups...Lesson? Trust your gut, race YOUR race, don't wait for others to do your work. Why? Cause, that was MY race that went up the road...and if I was strong enough to solo for 5 flippin' laps, I was strong enough to be in the front group...ahhhhgggg, I KNOW THAT! Well, now I know it even BETTER!!

Jen rode super smart, gave all she had, got caught out alone...then swarmed...but is safe and sound for tomorrow. Jane was w/ a chase group safely tucked behind strong wheels. So, were resting, rechargin', and READY for Mankato tomorrow...86.5miles, and three hanious finishing circuits....BRING IT!

We had tons of fans cheering us on out there...and MAN does it help. It's so awesome to hear 'Go Velo Bella-Kona' 8 different times throughout the course...it's like 8 energy boosts along the way! Thanks so much guys...when I was alone, I thought about each voice, and 'just make it to the next VB-K fan'...and that's how I got through each lap!! REALLY!

And, oh yea...let's talk about Schawlbe??? Hells yea...yesterday dirt, today rain, hail, debris...and NO flats, no slidin' out..NADA damn thang, chicken wing!! That's what I'm talkin' about!
And w/ my full on carbon Queen Zing Kona...I didn't even know there were cracks in the road...someone had to tell me!!
Peaz out...it's late!

1 comment:

karla said...

Nice race -- it sure was epic! You guys did great out there though! Wow, I was one of the race marshalls/Bellas on the corner cheering every time you guys went by. What a race!