Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Archie Briggs RR!! Last stage of Cascade!

This AM I felt WORKED, very tired...bad cough...head cold coming on...so I told the team I wanted to be conservative...We expected Lipton to go for the QOMs, w/ Victory and Webcore vy-ing for a break...

So, on the second QOM the field shattered (well at least from MY vantage point)...worker-bee Chrissy had done work keeping things fast on the previous lap...a chase group formed as we passed the QOM line...the group had me and Hiroko, in the first group was Jande and Liesolot..so I was happy! I told Hiroko via the radio not to do any work because our climbers were up the road...I even went so far as saying, "Our race is over, sit in"....but the other riders in our group worked and on a long decent we saw the caravan, then soon caught back on...and I sensed the 'Whew' factor of the newly formed peloton...and again seized the moment for an attack (what I didn't know was Amber was up the road..the girl I'd been in breaks w/ on the first 2 days)...

Away I went, no one chased...then a Maguire rider bridged...and once we hit the Feed zone...we joined Amber Rais (webcore)...and now we had one lap to go...our gap was hovering around 1:30...we worked well together...and going into the last feed zone climb we had 2min...and I came off on the climb...but kept driving hard after the climb because I knew it was downhill/flatish to the finish..I was able to stay away pulling off a 3rd place finish...w/ 45sec to spare to the peloton, and 9sec to the 2 leaders...Amber won, and Martina 2nd!

A great finish for us...we definately 'rose above' all our challenges this week, and left feeling like this was our most 'positive' team experience so far this season! Yea!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog and your team all season. I am so incredibly happy for your successes this week! It is clear that you have worked so hard and it is finally paying off. Enjoy and Congrats!!!