Sunday, July 30, 2006

FSA Marymoor Challenge (a track race at my HOME track!)

Yea, track racing!

Geez, it seems like forever since I've raced...oh wait, no it's just that this is TRACK racing....

I'm so stoked to ride my sweet ass Kona custom track bike...it's so beautiful (like my Queen Zing too, and TT Queen Zing...and more to come!!)...I love it oh so much....

Back to racing...it was a 2 day race...kicked off w/ the Pursuit...YEA!! Now I love the individual pursuit...mostly because of just that...INDIVIDUAL, I don't have to react to other sketch-a-saurousus around me (seeing as I'm the Biggest one of all)...It's just ME and 'THE PAIN'....who's gonna win???

So, it was a gorgeous northwest afternoon, a mild wind....whatever..it's a 3k race, go as hard as you can! I had Alyinda Borsaw telling me my splits on corner 3 (basically telling me to go faster or slower depending on if I was on pace for my projected time)....that help TONS, thanks Alynda (yea, spelling...it's ALWAYS a problem)...Annette Hanson smoked my by 1.something seconds...but I was pleased w/ a second place finish...and going faster than I had anticipated...it was my literal FIRST time on these bars/stem, I hadn't practiced a pursuit since Feb at track camp...and my time was better! That's what you want!!


Ok, so that was pretty much the highlight, it was all downhill from there...not literally, the track is flat (thank Alah)...Next was Kerin (where you ride behind the motor for 3 laps, then it pulls off for 2 laps). I got the spot right behind the motor...then when ape-shie-sters as soon as it pulled off (hoping to catch everyone off guard)...and hung on for 2nd...but that was just a heat...In the final, I again had the motor but 2 laps in Annette rolled up and asked for the motor and for me to sweep for her...I hesitated, but complied (seeing as I didn't quite understand what sweeping was, or how this was MY best move...)...after the motor pulled of coming out of turn 2 Jenny Reed (multi-time World Cup medalist) comes flying up on my INSIDE (yea, was NOT expecting that) and I had another girl on my opposite shoulder (a position I am not yet comfortable w/) and I hesitated...and what do you know, pretty much EVERYONE passed me...I was last! Great learning opportunity....DONT FREAKIN HESITATE...always move FORWARD, if you feel fear go FASTER...and race MY race!

Then was the Points race. 25 laps, w/ sprints every five laps. I did a lot of surging (can't really call them attacks, I didn't get separation on many...but it was all my little legs were givin' up)...but was only able to pull of 4th...disappointed. Lesson? Either off the front, sprint, or IN the pack...don't pull the pack around, the only person that hurts is KELEKELEBOBELLY!

Sat AM racing started w/ the 200m tt...yea...whatever...I ended up mid pack finishing...which is appropriate for my gear choice, mental attitude, and preparation for such a short race...but that event sets up the order in which they pair the match sprints...and I got to race a smart/strong sprinter Heather Van ValIhavenoidea...but I had been coached on how to get around her, and it worked...she still beat me but hey, baby steps...

The next event was a 500m tt...and someone put me last (last is usually reserved for the STRONG people, yea, I think it was a computer glitch...rather embarrassing to finish pretty much were you started)...this one starts from a dead stop...and I haven't practiced ANY parts of it...tried to muscle through it and well, THAT didn't work...oh well!

Sat night I had co-workers, and my boss watching (no pressure)...it started w/ the Miss n out...where every lap the last person to cross the line get's booted...I tried to ride in the pack, but got sketched out by something...and went on my own...and stayed there for a while...once I rejoined the others ther were only about 5 girls left...a much more manageable number...and I just sat on Jenny Reed's hip, guarding the front...and what do ya know I got 2nd...another podium....yipee, and I was gonna pull out of that race....good thing I didn't


Next, and final race...the scratch..a basic..whoever get to the finish line first wins...w/ multiple primes, and $3 and $2 per lap for the 1st and 2nd place rider as they cross the line each lap...I tried in vain to attack and counter attack...but I think the word is out, and I couldn't get away...and kept getting beat for all the primes...then had nothing in the final sprint...but I raced hard...Lesson? SURPRIZE...I was WAY too predictable, and my attacks were more and more LAME, be patient, save up for few but GOOD attacks, instead of multiple lame ones!

Great racing, good fun, lots of learning. Jennifer Tripplet is racing great, she's such a great girl, it's fun to watch her do so well! Annette is smooth and consistent as ever...I can learn a lot from her. It was an honor to race w/ Jenny Reed, a world class athlete here w/ us...it was awesome!

1 comment:

JT said...

You were amazing Kele! Nice jorb this weekend. And don't forget the AWESOME team pursuit. Amara took some great pics. Rest up and we'll get some track action going on in the next month to prepare for natz....