Saturday, July 15, 2006

Let's talk track Smack!!

Alpenrose track, in Portland...can you say, Cha-Ching! It was GREAT! Well run, great weather, awesome host housing, fantastic people helping me learn...all in all a fun-tastic experience.

This is how trackies warm up...rollers!! Annette and Jen show me how it's done!!

Oh my goodness...I got 3rd in the Miss and Out...by going hard from the gun...doin' my way...I hate those races usually...but not when I get 3rd.





One thing I learned, there is a LOT of sittin' around time at the track...they call it 'Recovery'..


The boys podium...well, Master Men...whatever!! On the left is Woody Cox (multi National and World titles to his name)...he was a HUGE help for me this weekend, really went out of his way to help me understand the races, and tactics...thanks so much Woody, it really help me get into the races!



Oh boy, I got second in the Points race. Yea, that was tough...note to self, don't 'GO' at the gun on a 75 lap race...and even when you lap the field, you still need to go for the points...Woody Cox and Nathen Hobson(my host, Elkhorn organizer, great guy)had to yell to me "It's a points race, you HAVE to go for the points"...



After racing, we we're served dinner by Nathen Hobson...SAWEETT


Day 2: Warm up for Sprints (one lap, from speed determines who races who)

Yea, I pretty much lost EVERY sprint race...as in I did..


But luckily, there was one more race. A scratch race...No Chrissy that doesn't mean we scratch each other...it's just like a Crit...first across the line wins...Plus there was $3 and $2 every lap for 1st and 2nd...

So after a few laps, I just gave it a little gas...

Ahh, that's better...all by myself...no crashing for me!! Luckily, I have friends in the peloton NOT chasing me...and w/ 3 laps to go I caught on the group (gaining a lap)...so I got to get on the one podium spot I hadn't been to yet ...the TOP!


And, to make the day even more special...Mike (my better half, who has been in England/Sweden working/visiting family for 5weeks) suprized me by showing up at the track on Sunday evening...in time to see my last race, which became my best race! It was a WONDERFUL surprize, I was so happy to see him! I love him so much, and I love surprizes too...thanks bugger!

Ok, I want to thank Becky Quinn who also took a lot of her time to explain the racing to me...she was gracious, kind, patient, helpful, and fun to have around...we were lucky to have a world class athlete to use as a sounding board! Best of luck to you Becky!!

Also, Annette Hansen was super helpful, doing the same...answering all my petty questions...and offering encouragement...It meant a lot to have such high level athletes listen and help me!! Thank you all so much!!

Now, on to Cascade in Bend...

No comments: