Saturday, July 01, 2006

Wachusett Mountain RR in Witchy Fitchy

Ok, let's start today's race report off w/ a funny story...

So, Nicole Freedman (close friend who created/ran/raced/directed Basis, then Ford-Basis for 3 years as my teammate) expressed interest in being in our Gearworks Spin Art caravan car w/ Tom Stevens today. And twice I told her, "I could really use you on the radio to help me up the climbs"...TWICE.

So, we're racing along...lap 3 I get popped on the 'Wall' up to the right hand corner about 1/4 way up the climb...by the time we get to the feed zone I'm alone, and our caravan car has caught up to me....and how is Nicole helping me?? SHE'S SLEEPING!!! So, the car stays next to me offering a bit of a reprieve from the wind...and finally I yell "WAKE UP Nicole"..and she comes to and says, "Oh, Hi Kele....are you off the front??"....then tries to offer a sleepy, 'Go go go Kele you can do it'...but lucky for me it took me long enough to chase she had enough time to FULLY wake up an offer some of the REAL encouragement, and I caught back onto the pack!! Then the next time in the same situation....back at the Feed Zone, I'm alone climbing...this time at least she was awake..but was TOTALLY eating chips the entire time, giving me encouragement w/ her mouth full...and finally I said, "How are the chips Nicole??"..and she honked a little, offered me some, and said 'Only you Kele, would say something!!'...and I was thinking...only you wouldn't put down the flippin chips for like 2 min to get SERIOUS about me catching....but chips or no chips I got back on AGAIN! And Again on the last lap...thank GOD it was neutralized 2x up the climb, cause three times is a charm....

Ok...other than me chasing...the team did GREAT leading out Sarah Uhl who took the Green Jersey today! Anna Milkowski, rode SOO hard..she was the main person leading Sarah out EVERY time (there is a sprint every lap)...and she was at the front all day chasing down moves, getting in breaks, attacking on the last lap...wow, VERY impressive. Hiroko got in a break, rode at the front all day, and climb awesome...she's making leaps and bounds improvements every stage here, and it couldn't happen to a better person. Kami Tremblay rode her heart out, responded to moves, got to the front when asked, and climbed w/ all she had. Rebecca Wellons was our sweeper on the first sprint, sucking up points...and pushed through a 'bad leg' day like a champ...and climbed well at the end!!

On the whole...Colavita controled most everything, w/ some odd attack-then-sit-up moves on the second lap....not sure? They would attack, and as soon as the split formed w/ a few other riders they would sit up and not work....hmmm, maybe they were trying to wear us out...

Sarah Ohmar won, Tina Pic second, and Laura Van Gilder third (I think).

Oh, I had a MINOR mechanical. Apparently I have 3 bad links in my chain...and EVERYONE was trying to help w/ the suggestion to adjust my barrel adjuster...thanks for trying ladies...probably because it was making this huge clunking noise for about 40mi...skipping in every single little gear. The best was Tom Stevens (our director, in the car) on the last climb (yea, I'm alone next to the car...hmm sounds familiar huh??) he says, "Did you adjust the barrel?"..."Yes Tom, not the problem"..(heaving breath)..."If you pull over I can adjust it really quick" (were like 1k to the finish on a steep climb)....I didn't respond, I couldn't!!

I haven't see results...but another good teamwork day. I love chasing on! I wish I could climb just a LITTLE better!

Crit tomorrow, sweet!!

1 comment:

Velo Bella said...

at least she wasn't eating ice cream or drinking a beer